Internet Download Manager (or IDM) is a program that allows users to download files more quickly. In this article, we will examine the pros and cons. Also, we will take a look at alternative ways to optimize downloading that don’t require IDM.
IDM: Pros and Cons
IDM is the most popular file downloader worldwide, and here are some reasons why:
- It allows users to increase the speed of their downloads up to 5 times by separating a single download into multiple streams.
- It has a user-friendly interface. Additionally, users can customize the interface to tailor it to their needs and preferences. Light and dark themes are available, along with many skins available for download.
- Users don’t need to be IT experts to use this program.
- The official website allows users to download a trial version that works for 30 days.
- IDM is compatible with all popular browsers (Google Chrome, Opera, Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Edge, and others).
- Users can download videos from streaming services.
- IDM is compatible with a wide variety of protocols, including FTP, HTTP, HTTPS, MMS, and Microsoft ISA. It also works with firewalls, cookies, MPG video, and MP3 audio processing.
- It streamlines downloading files from the Internet by introducing the “Download with IDM” button.
- IDM lets users schedule their downloads, so the user’s presence isn’t necessary to start the download.
- Users can automate downloads by selecting preset download categories. Also, users can create personalized download categories if necessary.
- IDM has multiple versions in different languages. Therefore, the language barrier is not a problem when using IDM.
However, some flaws limit IDM’s accessibility to the public:
- The trial version of IDM has limited capabilities, and it only works for 30 days.
- Users need to pay for the version of IDM with full features. Not everybody can afford a license for IDM, and not everybody is willing to pay for it.
- IDM only works on Windows. Therefore, it is not compatible with any devices on Android, iOS, Linux, or macOS.
Alternatives to IDM
There are two alternative options to IDM: other download managers and cracked versions of IDM. We will list several free alternatives to IDM first.
- It has many features present in IDM, like the ability to set bandwidth limitations on downloads, change themes for the user interface, and resume interrupted downloads.
- JDownloader 2 can solve some CAPTCHAs without user intervention.
- It has versions in many different languages.
- This program is compatible with Windows, macOS, Linux, and Java-based platforms.
- This download manager offers its users several features like accelerated download speeds, download scheduling, browser integration, and regulating speed limits for downloads.
- EagleGet has built-in antivirus software.
- Users can import their lists of downloads from other download managers to Eagle Get.
- EagleGet can refresh expired download addresses without requiring a restart.
- Like IDM, it is only compatible with Windows.
FDM (Free Download Manager)
- FDM can optimize the efficiency of file downloads to download large files quickly.
- Users can choose file priorities for torrents.
- FDM works with Windows, macOS, Linux, and Android. Also, this download manager is compatible with all popular browsers, like Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Opera, Microsoft Edge, and Apple Safari.
- This download manager can accelerate users’ download speed up to 10 times.
- Users can create custom download categories for various file types.
- FlashGet also has a built-in offline reader.
- It supports browser integration.
- Unfortunately, it is only compatible with Windows.
Internet Download Accelerator
- It has many features, such as download scheduling, increased download speeds (up to 5 times), MP3 and video downloading, and multilingual support.
- There is a Pro version with more features and no ads.
- Internet Download Accelerator is only available on Windows.
uGet Download Manager
- This program is an open-source project launched in 2003.
- uGet Download Manager allows users to download multiple files at the same time, resume paused downloads, and schedule downloads.
- It works on Windows, Linux, and macOS.
- This download manager has many features, such as categorized downloads, one-click downloads, and increased download speeds (up to 4 times).
- It works on any platform that supports Mozilla Firefox.
- It can be considered a clone of DownThemAll! for Google Chrome. This browser extension is easy to install.
- Among its features are download acceleration, multilingual support, downloads resuming, and limiting download speeds.
- Additionally, users can shred their data and metadata to increase their privacy.
Xtreme Download Manager
- Like IDM, Xtreme Download Manager features download acceleration up to 5 times, download scheduling, and download resumption.
- It supports browser integration with Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Opera, and several other popular browsers.
- It is compatible with Windows, Linux, and macOS.
Turbo Download Manager
- This program uses multi-threading to increase download speeds.
- Users can pause and resume their downloads at will.
- Additionally, users can preview media files like video, audio, and image files during their download.
- Turbo Download Manager runs on Windows, Linux, macOS, and Android.
IDM Crack is a cracked version of Internet Download Manager that has the same functionality as the licensed version of the program. Here are some of its advantages:
- It has all the functions of a licensed copy of IDM.
- It’s free of charge for anyone.
- Users can install it on PCs, laptops, and Android devices.
- It provides the serial keys needed to activate IDM.
However, you must be careful while looking for cracked versions of IDM since not all of them are malware-free, and some may endanger your system.
Internet Download Manager is a useful program that allows users to optimize their download processes. However, IDM isn’t free and is only available on Windows. Luckily, there are free download managers and cracked versions of IDM that may help with this issue. If you are looking to switch to a different download manager, you can try several free alternatives to IDM, like JDownloader 2, EagleGet, and FDM. Alternatively, if you don’t want to adapt to a different download manager, you can install a cracked version of IDM. It offers the same features as a licensed version, and it’s free.